|Home | Organization | Programs |Archives | Publications | Global Connections | Membership|
1852 -- AGS Archives
The AGS sets up shop at John Disturnell's "Geographical and Statistical Society" at 179 Broadway, New York.
The AGS moves its headquarters to New York University at Washington Square. At the second sitting of the Society membership, a letter from David Livingstone---"Banks of the Zouga, October 8, 1851"---was read.
The first Bulletin of the American Geographical and Statistical Society is published in August, 1852, contains 83 pages, and features the Society's first map -- a clean-cut engraving on lithographic stone of Paraguay.